This build opens with the fastest possible Dark Templar in order to keep your opponent pinned in their base as well as some light harass, while you safely transition into a 2 base economy and either a Robotics or Blink focused play.
- 9 – Pylon
- 13 – Gateway
- 15 – 2 Assimilators
- 16 – Pylon
- 18 – @150 Minerals, start Cybernetics Core
- 22- @100% Cybernetics Core, start Warpgate Research, Mothership Core, and Twilight Council
- 24 – Proxied Pylon
- @100% Twilight Council, start Stalker and proxied Dark Shrine
- @100 Gas, start Robotics Facility
- @400 Mins, start Nexus at natural
- @100% Robotics Facility, start Observer
- Warp in a proxied Dark Templar (@6:45ish) when your Dark Shrine completes
Being active with your initial Stalker around your natural and third will help keep you aware of any super early aggression. Just be sure to pull your Stalker back to the protection of your Mothership Core quickly if you have to defend an early attack. Hold on with Photon Overcharge until you can warp-in a DT to defend as well as harass.
This build is surprisingly safe against most openings, so scouting is pretty minimal.
Against standard Robo expand builds, your Nexus will be a little bit later. You can make up for this either by using Warp Prism/DT harass or doing a Blink follow up to abuse their low production capability.
Against Blink play, simply take advantage of their lack of detection and kill a bunch of Probes. Against Dark Templar play, use your Observer and Stalker to push back their DTs while your(s) kill a bunch of Probes.
Against Stargate play, you might run into some problems. Phoenix will be able to scout what you are doing, and Oracles provide detection as well as harass potential.
This build sets you up with a 2 base economy and both a Robotics Facility and Twilight Council. This lets you transition into either midgame Blink timings or Chargelot/Archon/Immortal macro play very easily.
To transition into Blink play, start and chronoboost Blink from your Twilight Council as soon as your first Dark Templar is warped in. Go up to 5 Gateways on 2 Assimilators and warp-in Blink Stalkers non-stop at your opponents base in order to punish typically greedy play in reaction to DT expand builds.
To transition into Chargelot/Archon/Immortal play, start Immortal production, a Forge, and go up to 3 Gateways. Once you are safely in the midgame, start Charge and be sure to out-expand your opponent.
- Poke around your natural and third base with your initial Stalker to make sure your opponent is not performing a very early attack (such as a 4gate or Trap’s 3gate All-in).
- You may want to proxy 2 Pylons with this build. One for the initial hidden Dark Shrine. The second for a close warp-in location for your initial DT.
- Un-chronoboosted Warpgate will time out perfectly with your Dark Shrine finishing
- Against Stargate play, be sure to position your initial units to defend your mineral line from potential Oracle or Phoenix harass.
- In the midgame, spend all of your Chronoboost on either the Robotics Facility or Twilight Council–depending on your transition.
Pros and Cons
This build is a reasonably safe build that allows you harass potential as well as forces your opponent to stay at home. It also expands at a normal time in order to get to the midgame quickly and transition smoothly into either a fast timing or macro play.
However, this build is somewhat weak against early Stargate play, for the Stargate allows for Oracles to both harass and detect and Phoenix to take map control.
This build is strongest on maps with few watchtowers, allowing your proxy Pylons and Probe movements to go unnoticed.
- King Sejong Station
- Merry Go Round
For more information, see Gemini’s write-up of this build