This Reaper FE, optimized by Startale Bomber, gets out exactly one Reaper for scouting as well and a ridiculously fast Command Center. Then it follows up with a Bio army with just as much strength as a gasless 1rax FE can provide.
- 10 – Supply Depot
- 12 – Barracks
- 12 – Refinery
- 15 – Reaper
- 16 – Orbital Command
- 17 – After first 100 Gas is mined, stop mining all gas
- 17 – @100% Reaper, start Reactor on Barracks
- 17 – @400 Mins, start 2nd Command Center
- 18 – Supply Depot
- 19 – 2nd Barracks
- 20 – Bunker, and put 3 SCVs back in the Refinery
- @100% 2nd Barracks, start Tech lab
- @100% Tech lab, start Stimpack Research
- @100 Gas, start Factory, Engineering Bay, and 2nd Refinery
- @100% Engineering Bay, start +1 Infantry Attack and 3rd Refinery
- @100% Factory, start Starport, Reactor on Factory, and 4th Refinery
- Benchmark: When you start your Starport (@7:50ish), you should be at 35 SCVs and around 60 supply.
- @100% Starport, swap off onto Factory’s Reactor, start 3 more Barracks, and start double Medivac production
- @100% Stimpack, start Combat Shields Research and begin Marauder production
- @100% 3rd Barracks, start Tech lab
- @100% 4th/5th Barracks, start Tech lab and Reactor
- @100% +1 Infantry Attack, start +1 Infantry Armor
- Push out when your first 2 Medivacs pop (@9:45ish) with 2 Medivacs, 2 Marauders, around 28 Marines, Stimpack, Combat Shields, and +1 Attack.
This build has a fragile beginning (you only have 1 Reaper for quite some time), so scouting with this Reaper is absolutely crucial. You CANNOT lose your Reaper. Instead, use it to spot how many Assimilators your opponent has taken, when they get an expansion (or note if they do not expand by around the 5 minute mark), and how many early game units they are defending with. You must keep the Reaper active on the map to spot for any early aggression and also to prevent your opponent’s first Stalker or Zealot/Stalker from getting to your base and doing damage.
If your opponent has not expanded by around the 5 minute mark, then prepare to deal with 1 base play. Also, if you do not know whether your opponent has a Stargate or not, it is a safe plan to build one Missile Turret per mineral line to defend any Oracle shenanigans.
This build can only transition into Bio play, for you have committed all your resources and time into getting the Infantry upgrades and Medivacs. After this build, get a 3rd Command Center, 3 more Barracks (for a total of 8), and a Ghost academy/2nd Starport to head into a strong, late game army.
Note: It is completely viable to replace the 4th and 5th Barracks in this build with a 3rd Command Center. However, with the strength of Medivac boost, most Terrans (including Startale Bomber) have been getting lots of Barracks early in order to hit their opponents with a lot of aggression during the midgame. If you get a 3rd Command Center first, then you will have a late game army faster, but you sacrifice a lot of potential midgame aggression, simply by not having those extra reinforcements.
- The gas timing of this build is quite important – be sure to mine exactly 100 Gas so that you have enough for the Reaper and Reactor and no more. Getting your natural Command Center up before the 2nd Supply Depot is a strength of this build.
- Early game Stalker + Mothership Core pressure can be game ending if you lose your initial Reaper. Do NOT lose your Reaper.
- If you believe your opponent is playing with an aggressive 1 base build (for instance, if you scout a Stargate/proxy Pylon/lack of Nexus), add a 2nd Bunker at the front, and consider getting a Missile Turret in each mineral line.
- Oracles, even with an expansion, massacre un-upgraded Marines, so if your opponent has a Stargate, you have to instantly get out one Missile Turret per mineral line.
- The gas timings of this build are somewhat more delayed than what you might be used to if you usually play with a gasless 1rax FE. Therefore, be sure to cut all Marauder production until after your Starport has completed.
- When you move out with your Medivacs, be sure to boost in and out of where your opponent is expecting. Forcing out the Mothership Core’s energy can be the difference between an quick win and a potential loss.
Pros and Cons
This build is good because it gives you the economy and infrastructure on par with a Wings of Liberty style 1rax FE. Also, this build makes a fast Reaper to scout throughout the early game. Getting such a fast Reactor gives you enough marines to defend early game Stalker + Mothership Core harass. Finally, this build takes no detours and goes directly into Bio+Medivac play, so your Stim+Medivac aggression happens much sooner than if you go for an early Widow Mine Drop.
However, this build is quite vulnerable to early Protoss pokes, especially if you lose your Reaper. Another problem with this build is that with such a low Marine count in the early game, fast Oracles can do a lot of damage if your scouting/turret timing is not perfect.
This build is strongest on larger maps and also maps with lots of cliffs on the main base so that a Reaper can jump up and get lots of scouting information. Also it works well on any maps with a safe natural so that your opponent is more likely to expand instead of try to all-in you.
- King Sejong Station
- Foxtrot Labs
For more info, check out MrMaxilicious’ write-up of this build too