- 9 – Overlord
- 15 – Spawning Pool
- 16 – Hatchery
- 16 – Extractor
- 15 – Overlord
- @100% Spawning Pool, start 1st Queen and 2 Zerglings
- @100% 1st Queen, start 2nd Queen
- @100 Gas, start Metabolic Boost
- @50% Metabolic Boost, start Roach Warren and 3 Overlords
- @100% Roach Warren, start 8 Roaches, and dump the rest of your Larvae into Speedlings
- Pull all your Drones off gas at 200 in order to have mined exactly enough for 8 Roaches
- Attack your opponent’s natural when your Roaches pop (@6:40ish) with 8 Roaches, 10 Speedlings, and around 27 Drones at home.
- Constantly rally Speedling reinforcements
Send your first Overlord to scout your opponent’s natural wall to spot for a Forge Fast Expand or Gateway Expand, and then send it to a safe area for a later 7:00 scout. Consider using your 2nd Overlord to guard your natural expansion against Cannon Rushes. Your next Overlords can be placed around your opponent’s main or natural base as backup scouts or for vision of their 3rd base.
Use your initial Zerglings to scout around the map for Probes and proxy Pylons. Keep a Zergling outside his front to scout for any early pokes, and avoid any Stalkers or the Mothership Core whenever possible.
The majority of your scouting will come from the Roach/Ling all-in. Note whether or not your opponent has opened with a Stargate, Robotics Facility, or Gateway-heavy army, and react accordingly.
This build is a 2 base Roach/Ling all-in off of only 27 Drones, so there is no well defined transition. That being said, if the attack is not going well, be sure to pull back and keep your units alive, instantly resume Droning, and attempt to secure a third base and 3rd Queen. Going for Lair and Roach Speed or Hydralisks is probably your best way to defend the inevitable counter-attack, but you might be too far behind (based entirely on how much damage your all-in did) for it to be enough.
- Be active on the map with your initial few Zerglings in order to deny vision of the fact that you do not have a 3rd Hatchery (and especially that you have mined more than 100 gas just for Metabolic Boost).
- Roaches take up a lot of supply, so be sure to start several Overlords BEFORE you need to make the 8 Roaches.
- During the all-in, keeping up on your injects so that you have enough Speedling reinforcements could be the difference between a close game and an easy slaughter.
Pros and Cons
This is a very strong 2 base all-in that uses Roach/Ling to crush your opponent before the midgame has even started. It also requires little scouting and little APM to perform well, so it is a great build for newer players to perform as well.
However, if your opponent spots your lack of third base early on, they should have enough time to wall off their natural with Photon Cannons if they opened with a FFE or get out enough Sentries if they opened with a Gateway Expand. So for this all-in to be effective, you have to deny your opponent’s vision of it.
This build is strongest on smaller maps so that your attack can reach your opponent’s base fastest.
- Bel’Shir Vestige
- Polar Night
- Derelict Watcher
- Akilon Wastes
Written by Stark
Follow him @StarkSCII