This Speedling all-in is a cheese designed to hard and blind-counter a Gateway Expanding Protoss player in the current metagame. It also has varying success against a FFE, depending on your opponent’s building placement.
- 10 – Spawning Pool
- 9 – Drone
- 10 – 2 Extractors
- 8 – 2 Drones (then cancel one Extractor)
- 11/10 – @100% Extractor, put 3 Drones in gas
- 11/10 – Overlord
- @100% Spawning Pool, start 6 Zerglings
- @150 Minerals, start Queen
- @100 Gas, start Metabolic Boost and pull all Drones out of gas
- Attack your opponent with your initial 6 Zerglings, and constantly reinforce with Speedlings once Metabolic Boost finishes (@4:45ish).
You only need to Drone scout for the Protoss on a 4 player map such as Whirlwind or Red City. Your early Spawning Pool prevents you from having the minerals to scout with a Drone on any other map. Instead of scouting with your units, the vast majority of your scouting will come from your initial Overlords’ vision. Also, you do not need to scout for any Protoss cheeses because cheese should counter any of their cheeses quite effectively.
Because this build is straight-up cheese, there is no true transition to this build. However, if you do damage and want to continue into a macro game, take a natural Hatchery and start a 2nd Queen to play a 2base, map control play style.
- Position your Overlords to give you vision of your opponent’s walls. Attacking the holes in your opponent’s building placement is crucial with this build, but that can only be easily done once you have vision of these holes.
- Use your initial 6 Zerglings to do as much damage as possible, along with scouting the Protoss for unusual play.
- Avoid placing your Zerglings in a position where they can be surrounded by Probes and/or Zealots. Always retreat and poke in another area instead of committing to a bad position to get a guaranteed kill on a single target.
- Avoid a-clicking with your Zerglings. Rather, pick a target, move behind it to surround it, and then attack-move or target-fire the individual unit for a quick kill.
Pros and Cons
This build is incredibly strong against any Protoss player going for a Gateway Expand (the current metagame). It is designed to do potentially game-winning damage against any player with sub-optimal building placement and Probe control.
However, it is significantly weaker against a Forge Fast Expanding player, for your Zerglings can only do damage where there are no Photon Cannons or wall-offs.
This map works best on 2-person maps, so that you do not have to rely on luck in order to scout your opponent quickly with either your Zerglings or Overlords.
- Bel’Shir Vestige
- Akilon Wastes
- Polar Night
- Derelict Watcher
- Newkirk Precinct
Written by Stark
Follow him @StarkSCII