This build appears to be a standard Zerg opener to the untrained eye, but it actually can outright kill most unrefined Terran macro builds in the lower leagues.
- 9 – Overlord
- 15 – Hatchery
- 15 – Extractor
- 15 – Spawning Pool
- 17 – Overlord
- 18 – @100% Spawning Pool, start 2 Queens and constant Zergling production
- @100 Gas, start Metabolic Boost
- Pull all 3 Drones out of gas, and begin constant Zergling production
- 23 – Overlord
- Attack your opponent as soon as Metabolic Boost finishes (@5:40ish) with around 22 Speedlings and 17 Drones at home
First scout with your initial Zerglings. Use them to take the Xel’Naga Watchtowers or send them outside the front of Terran’s base depending on the map. Do your best to stop your opponent from scouting how many Zerglings you are creating.
The rest of your scouting will come from your Speedling timing attack. Check whether your opponent is going for a Bio, Mech, or 3CC play. You should at the least be able to force your opponent to lift off their natural unless they made a tight wall – don’t commit your Speedlings into a meat grinder if your opponent has walled off successfully.
As soon as you hit your attack, you need to be droning quite heavily to be able to stand any sort of chance going into the midgame. Only put Drones back in gas and re-begin teching up to Lair, Evolution Chambers, and Mutalisks once you are getting closer to 2 base Drone saturation.
- Be sure that you take map control with your initial Zerglings. Being able to deny your opponent vision of your building Zerglings will make this attack that much stronger.
- Do NOT attack into a Terran force behind a full wall-off. Force your opponent to abandon their natural and continue droning up.
Pros and Cons
This build looks like a standard ZvT build, but hits your opponent incredibly aggressively with a lot of early game Speedlings. This Speedling timing should either outright win the game or give you an effective economic advantage that will take you into the midgame.
However, because you are cutting Drone production in order to support this swell of Zerglings, your economic situation will be much further behind than what you might be used to. If your opponent holds the attack without taking much damage at all, then it’s possible you will simply get rolled over by any sort of counterattack as you are attempting to make Drones.
This build is strong on maps with a wide choke at the natural so that it is much harder to fully wall off against your Speedling attack.
- King Sejong Station
- Foxtrot Labs