This build is a very safe and standard opener to get you into the midgame with both Speedlings and a strong economy.
- 9 – Overlord
- 15 – Hatchery
- 16 – Spawning Pool
- 17 – Extractor
- 17 – Overlord
- 18 – @100% Spawning Pool, start 2 Queens and 2 Zerglings
- @100 Gas, start Metabolic Boost
- Pull all 3 Drones out of gas
- Benchmark: When you start Metabolic Boost (@4:20ish), you should have 2 Queens and 19 Drones.
First scout with your initial Zerglings. Use them to take the Xel’Naga Watchtowers or send them outside the front of Terran’s base depending on the map. The only thing to be wary of with this opener is enemy Bunker rushes; but an Overlord positioned to give you vision around your natural expansion rules that out.
This opener is a standard opener that can transition effectively into all-ins, Zergling/Baneling/Mutalisk midgames, or even Roach/Hydra midgames. For a Speedling all-in, start Zergling production instantly and hit when Metabolic Boost finishes. For a Roach/Bane all-in, fully saturate two bases and then make a swell of units to crush your opponent early. For a Zergling/Baneling/Mutalisk macro game, get a 3rd Hatchery and a lot of Drones while teching up on 2 Evolution Chambers. For a Roach/Hydra midgame, also get a 3rd Hatchery and a lot of Drones before starting your midgame swell of Roaches for map control and aggression.
- Be sure that you take map control with your initial Zerglings. You need to spot your opponent moving out with an early aggression fast in order to have enough time to prepare effectively.
- Keep your Drones and Zerglings away from any early Reapers – let your Queens deal with them.
Pros and Cons
This opener is a standard way to play safe against a Terran opponent and can transition into nearly any follow-up, even macro or all-in plays.
However, this build does slightly sacrifice economy in order to get an Extractor and Metabolic Boost before going to 3 bases, but the economy cut is usually not too noticeable in the long run.
This build is strong on every map.
- Akilon Wastes
- Cloud Kingdom
- Xel’Naga Caverns
- Shakuras Plateau