This build gets a very fast Reaper to scout and possibly harass your opponent. The follow-up is a very strong Combat Shields, Stimpack, +1 Infantry Attack, 2 Medivac push at around 10 minutes.
- 10 – Supply Depot
- 12 – Barracks
- 13 – Refinery
- 16 – Marine
- This Marine can be skipped if there is no scout in your main
- 17 – Orbital Command
- 17 – Supply Depot
- 17 – @100% Marine, start Tech lab on Barracks
- 18 – @100% Techlab, start Reaper (only 1)
- 21 – @400 Mins, start 2nd Command Center
- 23 – @100 gas, start combat shields
- 24 – Supply Depot
- 28 – @300 Mins, start 2 more Barracks
- 31 – @100% 2nd Command Center, 2nd Orbital Commad
- 33 – @100% Combat Shields, start Stimpack
- 33 – @100% Barracks (2 and 3), start 2 Reactors
- @100 Gas, start Factory, Engineering Bay, and 2nd Refinery
- @100% Factory, start Starport and Reactor on Factory
- @100 gas, start +1 Infantry Attack from Engineering Bay
- @100% Reactor on Factory, swap off for reactored Starport and make 2 Medivac
- Push out when your first Medivacs pop (@9:30ish) with around 80 supply
With your initial SCV scout, see if your opponent is fast expanding (no gas) or is teching up (gas). Try to spot whether your opponent is adding on a techlab on his barracks after his first marine for a reaper of his own. If he is doing a gasless fast expand you can focus more on economy and not worry about bunkers. Otherwise, stay safe until your 3 Barracks kick in and you have the Marines necessary to defend pressure (Hellions, Reapers, or Banshees).
You can only really transition into Marine Tank Medivac or Bio (if you’ve scouted your opponent going Mech with your 10 minute attack). Mech is not a viable followup to this build because of how much you have invested in Bio upgrades and Medivacs.
When transitioning into Marine/Tank/Medivac, then be sure to throw down 2 more Refineries at your natural, a 3rd CC, a Tech lab on your factory for tank production, and another Engineering Bay and Armory to keep up with your opponent in upgrades. You can do this in any particular order, but try and get the 3rd CC and the Engineering Bays first for more late game focused play if you feel safe, and get the 2 more gas geysers and Tech lab on Factory first for more midgame focused play if you feel in danger of losing soon.
- Do NOT lose your Reaper. Keeping your Reaper alive is much better than killing 1 or 2 more SCVs or getting a full scout of his base (the fear of having a Reaper still lurking around that can jump in your base at any point in time is a lot worse than being down an SCV or two).
- If you have the Reaper still alive, use it to kill SCVs at Xel’Naga watchtowers and deny vision of your natural until your opponent has scanned you. Keep your opponent in the dark about whether you are making more Reapers or following up with Reaper/Hellion/Medivac.
- If your opponent does a Siege Tank all-in, SCVs are the only way to survive. Feel free to pull 15ish workers to defend all-ins; your 2nd orbital and aggressive teching will put you ahead of your opponent even if you lose that many SCVs.
Pros and Cons
This build gives you great scouting information with that first Reaper (as well as the opportunity to kill some SCVs in case your opponent is out of position). It also gives you a booming 2 base economy that will lead towards a strong midgame. Your upgrades and tech are also started early, so that you get all your midgame infrastructure started ASAP.
Unfortunately, this build is susceptible to some all-ins. Reaper/Hellion/Medivac into Banshee play is more or less a hard-counter to this build (but is not necessarily that good against most other builds, so has been rather uncommon post-2011). Early Hellion elevators and Siege Tank pushes are also hard to deal with because this build gives you fewer Marines than a standard 1rax FE would give you, so your defense has to be very tight.
This build scouts with an early reaper, so is best on maps with many areas for a Reaper to jump-up on. Also, you follow up the Reaper with an expansion of your own, so is much better on larger maps where early aggression is less likely.
- Entombed Valley
- Cloud Kingdom
- Antiga Shipyard