This 1rax expand is an early expand that transitions into Hellions for scouting and early game pressure. It relies on 3 Marines in a Bunker and Hellions to keep you safe from early Zerg pressure until you transition into the midgame.
- 10 – Supply Depot
- 12 – Barracks
- 15 – Marine (only 1)
- 16 – Orbital Command
- 16 – 2nd Command Center
- Cut SCV and Marine production
- 16 – 2 Refineries (Resume SCV production)
- 17 – Supply Depot (Resume Marine production)
- 21 – @100 Gas, start Factory and Bunker
- 22 – @50 Gas and 100% 3rd Marine, start Reactor on Barracks
- @100% Reactor, swap off to start Reactored Hellion production
Around 22 supply is when you decide if you want to go into Bio or Banshee production. If you are going to go Bio, pull 1 SCV off of each gas geyser in your main, put down 2 more barracks (1tech lab and 1reactor), and after 6-8 hellions lift off factory to build reactor right as you start starport. If you are going Banshees, start a Starport with the SCV that finishes the Factory, and float off the Barracks to build a Tech lab right next to Starport. After this you can transition into anything you like: Marine/Tank, Bio, or Mech. You can also pull 4 SCVs off of gas (leaving 1 in each geyser) and then start a very quick 3rd CC in base. This will give you a very large eco edge, but you are VERY vulnerable to Roach/Baneling all-ins, so your SCV and Hellion micro must be very good in order to safely pull it off. Check out the IMBAbuilds page for the fast 3rd CC build for more information.
You cannot afford the minerals to scout your opponent early (before 15 supply), to make sure you are not getting cheesed, so if any 6-9 pools occur, you must hold with your SCVs in your main. With your first SCV scout, just confirm that your opponent has a natural expansion started – if not, finish your CC on the low ground and lift it up into your main for safety, while you build your Bunker at your wall in order to make a Roach-proof Supply Depot/Bunker wall. Other early pressure (2base roach/ling or ling/bling or mass ling) must be scouted by with your hellions. Repair the bunker with SCVs, and you should be in good shape.
- Wall of your natural with your next couple of Supply Depots. This will prevent any Zerglings from getting in your base, and make dealing with early busts a lot easier.
- Do NOT lose your Hellions to lings, for then you will be completely naked at home and will most likely lose to any sort of counter attack.
- 9 times out of 10, it is better to keep your Hellions alive for map control and Creep Tumor killing than it is to run them in for a suicide mission of drone BBQ.